Thursday, February 02, 2006

Another Day Another Dollar

The morning after the night before and it is still difficult to comprehend that we've lost at home to the 'Appy 'Ammers. But I can still live with the defeat in a manner that was unthinkable some 20 years ago when I first began visiting Highbury under my own speed having completed my education and entered the evil world of corporate greed.

Some emnities in football seem to just dissapate over time - perhaps this is due to the last few years of elevated success which until last season were unmatched in the capital. This may be heresy to some but to my mind even Tottenham cannot be considered a true rival other than through geography which as I don't live locally means I do not readily identify with this. For a number of years, they have not been an opponent whose fixtures I have eagerly sought out when the list is published in the summer - the ones I look for are Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, the ones on the weekends before and after the birthdays of my wife and sons which require some negotiation to get the time off. And then it's a case of filtering through the rest.

Is part of the reason also a detachment from the club that seems to be prevalent in most of the professional clubs, and certainly applies to all of the Premiership. The nature of football clubs is completely different in the 21st century, mainly due to the increased Revenue Streams available to them. Do they care about my opinions any more (did they ever?), does my money mean less to them now. It seems those years ago that the money was more important to them. Whilst Arsenal never missed my £4 when I stood on The North Bank, relatively speaking in this day and age they miss my £100 for myself and the boys to attend & spend in the shop even less as there are considerably more people waiting to take my place than there were at my beginnings.

In some ways, I am envious of the feeling of community that my Dad has with his Swindon allegiance. He feels more part of the club, a sense that he counts in their eyes (with their predicament off the pitch, his continued support is more valued).

Todays Tune:

The Go Team! - The Power Is On (Live at KRCW)