Tuesday, March 14, 2006

And It's All Done In The Best Possible Taste

Arsenal are looking for more ways to eke every commercial penny out of the closure of Highbury than cats can be skinned. This started with the conversion of the stadium into housing units - I was going to say affordable but that is a subjective term; they are affordable if you are a City wideboy but otherwise not. However, the club are now allowing fans to buy their seats from the Stadium, the exact seat for Season Ticket Holders and any remaining for non-season ticket holders, all for the princely sum of £19.99. The final product is as below, and for those interested I have included the link to the club website also:

Take home your Highbury Seat

Now I am all for the club selling off the interior of the Stadium, after all it would just be dumped anyway so a couple of grand here and there contributes to the coffers. However, trying to make a plastic seat look like a Queen Anne antique is, ahem, a questionable exercise in taste. The best that these lumps of plastic should be hoping for is to be recycled as Garden Furniture. The red above could be politely called garish but how, pray tell, will they deal with the white and blue seats that form part of the Nike Swoosh or AFC designs? I can imagine that the proud Season Ticket holders will try to preserve these for posterity - after all, they will last about a week if used on a daily basis and they are not comfortable for prolonged periods of arse parking. When the proud owner passes onto the next world (or whatever your God lets you believe in), they are bound to be a source of contention in the settling of any Estate. At the reading of the Will, I am sure that the words "To my son, Eric, I leave my prized Arsenal seat" should surely rank alongside the phrase, "I leave £1,000,000"...And yes Chums, you are right. I am truly jealous that I cannot possess one of these. I know I could probably buy one quite easily but the fear of Percy or Power Ranger decapititating their sibling is just too great. And if you think that I overstate the case, just bear in mind that their mother brings a Spanish flavour to the genetic table, I merely add in Irish and Geordie to the mix so we can start fights on the one hand and are more than useful at finishing them as well. But we're sociable people so straight afterwards, we'll cook a meal for you and five thousand of your mates, shout a lot even though we are not arguing and drink you under the table for good measure.

Todays tunes are a couple of Parliament songs, always had a lot of time for George Clinton and his many guises. Taken from a gig in Amsterdam in 1978:

Mothership Connection

One Nation Under A Groove

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home